1. As a Mentor?
We provide a platform for senior, experienced lawyers to share their perspectives on career development, senior lawyers are encouraged to offer guidance, through the Mentorship Program, to junior lawyers who may be facing transitions or challenges in their professional lives.
A mentoring relationship is also a two-way street. Just as you are assisting your mentee to navigate the challenges that he or she is facing, your mentee could similarly share new professional insights or different perspectives.
2. As a Mentee?
Through the Mentorship Program, we provide resources to help junior to mid-level in-house legal counsel navigate their careers and tackle professional challenges.
Whether you are contemplating a career change, transitioning to a different stage in your career, or looking for some guidance in your professional life, you are welcome to participate in the Program.
What’s in Store for Mentors and Mentees?
- One Year Mentorship Program, extendable upon request.
- PEERS Sub-Committee will match suitable mentors to mentee candidates, based on their learning goals and preferences.
- Guidebook/ content (where applicable).
- Mentor and Mentee to schedule at least 2 meetings of up to 1 hour each during the period of the Program.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are members of the SCCA.
We encourage each mentorship pair to establish their objectives and learning goals during the first meeting, as well as suggested development activities, how to measure progress towards these goals and expectations during the Program.
Mentors and Mentees are also encouraged to complete a meeting log after each session to chart learning progress and milestones.
Mentors and Mentees are free to exchange ideas and experiences on a range of topics, including:
- career goals and development plans
- leadership skills
- continuous learning and professional development
- tips that might have served mentors well in their careers
- how to leverage on networking opportunities
- people management skills
- industry perspectives